Thursday, December 18, 2008

HOW TO: Get wireless (Intel 3945ABG) working in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

The wireless card seems to be switched on but it does not not pick up any networks and is essentially useless.


1. Open a terminal

2. Input the following:
$sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
$cd /etc/modprobe.d
$gksudo gedit iwl3945
3. In the blank file enter the following:
alias wlan0 iwl3945
iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1
4. Save the file and close it

5. In the terminal:
$sudo modprobe iwl3945
$sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
Wait a few minutes and hotspots should start showing up.


  1. This is the right webpage for anyone who wants
    to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a new spin on a subject which
    has been discussed for decades. Great stuff, just wonderful!

    Check out my webpage -

  2. Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using? I'm looking to start my
    own blog soon but I'm having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for
    something completely unique. P.S Sorry
    for being off-topic but I had to ask!

    Here is my website;

  3. This website definitely has all the info I needed concerning this subject and
    didn't know who to ask.

    Also visit my site ::